Saturday, February 05, 2005

Technology not so fun lately

I have two recent technology experiences that I would like to write about:

I have been using a Ximeta netdisk for about a year. It is a 150gb external hard drive that can be connected via either USB 2.0 or shared among multiple computers via ethernet. The only problem is that it does not use TCP/IP. Ximeta uses a proprietary system that requires its drivers and programs be running on each machine. When I first got it, I was upset that the outside of the box listed OS supported as far back as Win98, but once you get into the fine print, you find that is only for USB attachment. For Network attachment, the drive has to be NTFS and the clients Win2K or later. So I had one old machine that could not touch it. . . But despite this, I got it up and working and it worked well for 10 months. I had an entire year of pictures on the system (140gb). I was making some networking adjustments about a month ago and when I completed all the changes and turned everything back on, I had a surprise: none of my machines could see the netdisk.

Ximeta's Troubleshooter says:
"Try unplugging your NetDisk's power cord, wait about 10 seconds, and plug it back in. If this doesn't work, try restarting your computer as well. Please try disabling your firewall/antivirus software and if that works then you may need to configure the software to allow our NetDisk to run. If that does not work, try plugging the NetDisk via USB to see if it is being recognized. If it is, recover the data and then reformat the drive. While in USB, delete the partition and then bring the NetDisk back to the Ethernet and format the NetDisk."

Of course, I did the steps and when I tried plugging it into USB, I was releived that it was recognized. But the relief was short lived. I could bring up a list of folders in the drive, but when I clicked on a folder, Windows came up with a message telling me the disk could not be read and asking if I wanted to format the drive.

So, after a 8-10 hours of trying various tools to recover the data (over a three week period), I finally ended up reformatting the drive and starting the process of reloading all the data from the 40-50 DVDs that I used for photo backup.

I am now rethinking my network storage strategy. I am weighing either switching to the Buffalo LinkStation or putting together a Samba box with some ATA drives. Given the space and power limits of our office, the LinkStation might be the answer. It is bigger than the NetDisk, but will still easily fit on the shelf with the firewall and routers.

My second brush with technology deals with how to handle pictures when I travel. I did not lose any data with the NetDisk problems, but I am becoming more paranoid as I go forward. So I am testing a SmartDisk FireFly drive. It is basically a 40gb USB drive that needs no external power. I use it to backup the pics on my laptop, and also transfer the files to storage when I return to the office. My average shoot is now running around 2 GB, and burning 3-7 CD's on the laptop takes forever. I now have a 40gb harddrive for backup and then transfer it to network storage and burn to DVD's in the office.

In 15 years, I have never lost files or data. But another layer of protection that improves my workflow sounds like a great plan. The FireFly drive can be found for about $110 street price for 40GB. I will keep you posted on how it works, durability, etc.

So, bag is mixed. NetDisk did not work long term, but the FireFly holds promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home