Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Stress

I have been in my current position for over 15 years. During that period, I used to fool myself by saying: “If we can only get project XXX done, then things will slow down to normal. . .” The fact is, “normal” is really a period of high stress; there will never be a slow down. When “XXX” is done, “YYY” will need attention. My way of looking at things was wrong, but not uncommon. A friend asked me the other night how work was going; he said “Still high stress or has it slowed down.”

The fact is, we need to face the fact that high stress and long to do lists are, by definition, the de facto job description of a technology job in a growing and competitive industry. In the information age, the speed at which things change will only grow.

I am reading and listening to The Power of Full Engagement by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz. One of the things that is resonating strongly is their discussion of stress and their claim that stress is necessary and can be good. The book heavily uses the athlete/exercise model. I will use stretching here to explain their point. For muscle growth, you have to stress the muscle (stretch). But for healthy muscle growth, the workout regimen must intersperse periods of stress with periods of resting and recovery. Constant stress tears and damages the muscle. But regular periods of stress and rest promote growth. Extended periods without stress cause atrophy.

We need to develop a view of our work life that seeks stress, but also provides us time to recharge our batteries and renew to reach and perform at the highest level.

This is and interesting book and I look forward to seeing the effect as I introduce it into my operations which is already benefiting from GTD .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home