Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father's day

Just spent an hour swimming with my three year old son, Cooper. What a great time. We tested out his new kickboard and my new goggles. (crazy thought, will people who cannot type be directed to this blog for the next couple of months looking for new features at Google?) Anyway, back to the point.

Father's day is always a day of mixed feelings for me. My dad died when I was young. I really am not sure if my memories of him are actual, or just based on the stories I heard growing up. My mom remarried when I was about 11 and I love my step-father and call him "dad". But past Father's days were mixed between joy of "dad's day" and missing my father and thinking what might have been.

This is a tough fathers day; Cooper is the same age I was in 1969. I spent that Father's Day with my father and he was dead due to Lukemia by the end of July. I don't normally talk much about this, and it is unexpected that I am blogging this. But I also have a smile through the tears as my son just streaked through the living room, leaving a trail of water as he tries to escape from his shower after our hour swim.

I am shooting baseball later today. But first, I will grab the shorter lens and take my son to the park and shoot more slide pics. I got a picture frame from Cooper that he made at day-care. Time to get a "hugs" picture of him and I for the desk at work. I feel good that my priorities are in perspective.

Grace and peace.

Thanks Dad!; both of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home