Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Sleep Study III

It has now been three weeks since my sleep study and over 2 weeks since I got my CPAP. Here are a few notes:

o I have had zero problems sleeping with the CPAP. I have used it for every night minute of sleep since I got it and have had zero problem adjusting. I have a full face mask rather than just one that fits over my nose due to my sinus problems and I was concerned that I would have trouble with the mask. No problems! I have adjusted to the mask and hose and I don't even notice it.

o Breathing through my nose. I used to breathe through my mouth when I slept due to frequent stuffed nose and sinus problems. The CPAP has helped me keep my sinus open and breath through my nose. I used to wake with a dry mouth and lots of sinus snot; first two weeks have been much better!

o I have not woken with a headache since I started the CPAP.

o I had a posting here that discussed one of the problems with sleep deprivation is that you don't know how tired you really are. Well, it seems in my case that one of the symptoms during recovery of sleep deprivation is your body starts telling you how tired you were. I have been getting good sleep, but my body is letting me know it still needs some catching up. I am hoping that I get caught up soon, and will discuss with my doctor next week.

o Alertness, concentration, and memory has improved.

I also had a discussion with some family members yesterday about it. The short answer is, I refused to consider undergoing testing for years. I regret it deeply. I was concerned about how the study would go, that I would not be able to wear the CPAP, that it was a lot of fuss for something that wouldn't really help me, etc. I was wrong. My first two weeks on the CPAP tell me this can be a major life changing (improving) event and I am kicking myself for delaying for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home