Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Using web tools in a research project

I am doing research for a large project right now for my photo company. Usually, I would have done this with printouts and notebooks. I am trying to do the majority of this project on the web.

o Technorati – I have built a set of watchlists so I can track blogsphere postings.

o Bloglines – I am using bloglines to track the RSS feeds from Technorati and also specific blogs that I identify and need to track.

o Del.icio.us – Again, tracking links to specific sites.

o Backpack – created a page for the project and I am tracking links, clips, notes and to-do's for the project.


Advantages

o Access the information from any computer (desktop, laptop).

o Share information like the backpack page with others for review or assistance.


Concerns

o Data security – Both external access and also data loss. I have concerns that one of the companies will suffer an event or go out of business and my data will be lost, damaged, or compromised.

o Unavailable offline.


I am still unable to give up notebooks completely, and I just added a Moleskine Large Reporter to my resources for the project. But I am going to continue my commitment to do most of the research with web tools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home