Thursday, December 08, 2005

RSS Calendar

I use RSS in both of my jobs and in my personal life to track information on the internet; I could not live without it. Recently, I found RSS Calendar. It allows me to enter my calendar on-line and share it with family and friends as well is on my blogs and website.

After signing up for a free account, I was presented with a calendar and I started to add events. Each event has special settings including privacy, category, URL, Location with full address, etc. Privacy allows you to set if it is public or private; public will appear on web pages and RSS feeds, private will only show to those persons you have “invited” to view your RSSCalendar feeds and specified in the invite that they can see private items. Categories are great. They allow you to organize your items and then customize your feeds by category.

Feeds can be read by any standard RSS reader. The website also allows you to generate Java code that you can embed on your website to show one or more views. This website shows a 30 day rolling calendar; my photoblog has two applets: one that shows only Fine Art category events and the other that shows WindMedia category events.

These applets allow the viewer to click on a specific item for more details, including the ability to add it to their RSS Calendar, and export it to Outlook or iCal.

I am looking into lots of ways to use this great utility.

Tags

RSS
calendar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home