Thursday, December 22, 2005

Van Gogh

I am sitting here watching the sun come up over the mountain. For many, this may be no big deal; for a boy from North Dakota where it is FLAT, it is a wonderful change.

It has put me in a mode to ponder my thoughts. . .

I recently watched the A&E Biography of Vincent Van Gogh.

o Vincent was the second baby born in the family with that name. His older brother was born a year earlier, named Vincent, and died. Vincent spend much of his childhood going by the cemetery where his brother was buried and seeing his own name on a tombstone. His brother was in heaven and was the "perfect Vincent"; the younger Vincent knew he did not measure up.

o His mother did not express love for him. She still mourned the first Vincent, and this had to contribute to his feelings of inadequacy.

o Vincent started painting at 27 and killed himself at 37. He traveled to Paris for the first time at 33. By that time, he only had one major painting (Potato Eaters). In Paris, he was first exposed to the color use of the impressionists. Which means that he did hundreds, if not thousands, of paintings that I love in less than four years. Amazing!

o Vincent's distinct brushstrokes (which I can spend hours studying), really owe their roots to eastern philosophy and Japanese painting. I knew there was some connection, but the video did a great job of showing certain Japanese pieces and Vincent's work in succession and emphasizing how key it was.

Thanks to my mom for a great birthday gift. I really enjoyed it and I am sure that I will ponder much of this alot more over the next days, weeks, and months.

2 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc-

I couldn't help noticing how much you like BongoTies-
thanks!
I'm in the process os revamping the site, and I will be including a section called "Bongoties In Action" with a special offer for FREE BongoTies, if you email in a photo of BongoTies in use, which is used on the website. I don't do much blogging, so if you want to keep in touch, please email me at tim@bongoties.com

 
At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc-

I couldn't help noticing how much you like BongoTies-
thanks!
I'm in the process os revamping the site, and I will be including a section called "Bongoties In Action" with a special offer for FREE BongoTies, if you email in a photo of BongoTies in use, which is used on the website. I don't do much blogging, so if you want to keep in touch, please email me at tim@bongoties.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home