Sunday, January 08, 2006

Pinnacle Airlines is Horrible!!!!!!

I had a chance to fly Pinnacle Airlines twice over the holidays. What a horrible experience! I was harassed both times about my camera bag. I am a traveling professional photographer and I carry valuable equipment. I spent time and money research TSA and airline regulations and purchased a special bag that meets Northwest Airlines carry-on guidelines (which are a bit more restrictive than the general US regulations. My family had three paid seats on the flights, the bag in question would fit fully under the front of the seat in front of us; even on the smaller Canadair regional jets. I purchase a ticket with Northwest that includes three legs out and three back. On four of the legs, Northwest crews are very helpful, pleasant, and provided great customer service. Pinnacle Airlines, operating as Northwest Airlink, was exactly the opposite.


It is sad that Pinnacle Airlines defines customer service as lying and threatening their customers! I was told that I would have to gate check my camera bag. On flight #3724 on Tuesday, January 2, 2006, “Cindy” decided to make it worse. I explained that I knew from experience that it would fully fit under the seat and if she was not satisfied, I would gate check it. That was not acceptable. When I asked why, I was outright lied to. Cindy first told me it was “too heavy”. Of course, she had not touched or weighed the bag and did not realize that it was lighter than other carry-on's my wife and I had. Then she told me “nothing with wheels can come on board.” We had two carry-on's with wheels but only the camera bag was unacceptable. I counted at least 9 other passengers with wheeled bags that she did not object to. Then she told me “FAA regulations.” This is a classic intimidation lie; I asked for a section number and she had no idea what section of the regulations even covered carry-on of photographic equipment. I did because I reviewed it before travel. Finally, she told me “anything bigger than a briefcase” was not allowed. On this lie, I lost interest in counting around 22 the other pieces of other customers she let on that violated this. Finally, she had the co-pilot threaten to remove me from the flight. At this point, I had done nothing other than ask why? It is sad that Pinnacle Airlines defines customer service as lying and threatening their customers.


Pinnacle's mission statement ends with “make the airline a rewarding, profitable, and quality experience.” For me, they failed on all accounts. Perhaps they should consider changing to “we don't care and will tell any lie and make threats so you shut-up, sit down, and don't ask questions.”


I was friendly, polite, joking, and made every attempt to be a good passenger. I followed all true FAA regulations about cell phones, use of my mp3 player, storage of carry-ons, seatbelts, seatbacks, tray tables, etc. I had great conversations with the Northwest crews and I thought they did a fantastic job. I am very appreciative of their work and thanked them on multiple locations for making the experience great. It is too bad that I will start flying United to some locations to avoid Pinnacle Airlines.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a professional photographer of 30 years and also a Pinnacle flight attendant. I want to apologize for the way you were treated. You obviously had an overzealous flight attendant. There is usually some way to accomodate expensive professional equipment. The storage bins and under seat storage IS smaller on the CRJ than on mainline NWA planes. There are also weight & balance concerns specific to the CRJ. My guess is that your flight attendant was probably new and did not yet fully understand what is and is not allowed. There are items that ARE allowed on NWA jets that ARE NOT allowed on the CRJ. This often causes confusion for passengers and that is unfortunate.
In the future, find out if you will have one or more legs on an NWairlink plane, and what restrictions are different than the mainline NWA jets. Hope this helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home