Monday, January 02, 2006

Waterfalls

Today is dark and rainy, but yesterday was a great day. It was sunny and clear. Bill and I drove up to the Pisgah Forest and visited three waterfalls: Looking Glass, Moore Cove, and Sliding Rock. Looking Glass is listed as "one of the most photographed falls in the US." It was beautiful and challenging. I spent my time trying to figure out how to get the shot that I wanted; something that did not look like the shots I had seen in the guide books. I was trying to make sure I was not just putting my tripod in the holes that were worn from thousands of other photographs and figure out a way to get something I liked.

Next stop was Moore Cove. The guidebook listed it as "an easy one mile roundtrip." It was neither. It was closer to two miles and the trail climbed quickly and then dropped down to the level of the creek and crossed it three times before climbing up to the falls. This was a ledge falls with a large cavern area underneath that allowed me to go inside and photograph the sun through the falling water. Despite the fact that I had to carry camera gear without a backpack, I did not have my hiking boots, and I slightly twisted my ankle, it was worth it.

Last stop was Sliding Rock Falls. There was no lifeguard on duty, and the water temp was around 32* so we did not "slide" down into the pool. Again, I was looking for shots that were out of the ordinary.

We then drove up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and got some shots of Cold Mountain. We briefly crossed into Tennesse, before turning around and heading south through a pass into South Carolina. It was a nice day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home