Friday, June 10, 2005

Tablet PC

I have had a Tablet PC (HP TC-1100) for a little over 15 months. I have been meaning to blog about my experience. Mostly it has been good!, but I have write a quick rant about one thing that is driving me crazy: memory leaks.

A key criteria for my purchase was size. I wanted something that was small enough I would carry it with me and use it in multiple locations. I had a big laptop that was really a desktop because it was too heavy to carry. A key part of this “portability” was hibernation. Plop it into hibernate mode, go to a meeting, and fire it up for use. My five main applications are: Lotus Notes, Firefox, Word, Excel, and One Note. Of course, One Note can never be left open or the system gets really slow. Since I moved to Lotus 6.5.3, my system grounds to a halt in 3-4 days. Firefox will not survive a hibernate with multiple tabs open. Even a reboot takes forever!

Any attempt to research this immediately results in the tap-dance finger pointing where IBM/Lotus says it is windows fault and Microsoft says it is everyone else's fault, including mine for not using Internet Explorer.

Windows XP – Tablet Edition had problems with memory leaks. There are many things great about tablet PC's, but you will have to learn to live with the memory leaks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home